Saturday 20 June 2015

Creature 263: Cladonota

Bizarre body shape

Like Bocydium globulare, Cladonota is a genus of membracid (tree hopper), and it is nearly looks as Bizarre.

They have a generally bresent shaped body, but there is a lot of variation on the theme within the genus. I really wish I could explain the purpose of this Bizarre body, but I can't. I don't think anyone can. I had a quick look at the literature and there isn't much more than a physical description. One would have to assume that there has been some pretty strong selection pressure at some point. There are a lot of Bizarre looking Membracids, and believe me this is not the last you will see if them if you continue following my blog.



Distribution:
Cladonota are found in the American tropics.
Classification:
Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Arthropoda
Class: Insecta
Order: Hemiptera
Family: Membracidae
Genus: Cladonota
Species: Cladonota benitez

Image Links:

No comments:

Post a Comment